Terms of Service
Visitors (including members and contributors)
CanLII reserves the right to modify or change the Terms of Service at any time in our sole discretion. Modifications or changes will take effect when posted to this site and this may be done at any time without notice to you. Your continued use of the site constitutes your acceptance of the modifications or changes.By using this site, you acknowledge and agree with the following:
- All content is for information only. Nothing on this site is intended as advice to any person or advice on any topic. If you need legal advice, questions should be referred to the appropriate legal expert. Please consult your jurisdiction’s Law Society lawyer referral service for information about obtaining legal advice and legal assistance as CanLII will not respond any such requests.
- CanLII Connects contains contributions from individuals and organizations unaffiliated with CanLII. Although CanLII determines who may post content, these contributions, including any embedded links that may be contained within, are not screened, moderated, approved, reviewed or endorsed by CanLII, and CanLII is not responsible or liable for the content of any member contributions posted to this site.
- CanLII reserves the right to block, at its discretion and without prior notice, any visitor from accessing this site if the visitor misuses site in any manner, including but not limited to, placing abnormal demands on the network resource that support site operations.
- Content on this site can used by visitors free of charge and without need of further authorization from CanLII, provided that CanLII is identified as the source of the document and provided that it is not be reproduced, duplicated, copied, sold, resold or exploited other than as expressly allowed under these Terms or where the scope and purpose of such use is consistent with user rights to fair dealing, as that term is understood in Canadian copyright law.
- Use of third-party contributions, namely the summaries and commentaries supplied by Contributors may be subject to additional conditions set by those individuals and organizations holding intellectual property rights to the contributions. Accordingly, visitors are responsible for checking whether the intended use of the documents is authorized by the rights holder.
- You will not use the information or tools available on this site to harass, annoy, spam or otherwise interfere with the interests of other visitors, members or contributors.
- You acknowledge that although CanLII reserves the right to remove unauthorized content or ban participation of individuals or organizations found in violation of these Terms, it is neither obligated to proactively police content or participation nor is it under any obligation to act if it becomes aware of prohibited content or activities.
Members and Contributors
CanLII reserves the right to modify or change the Terms of Service at any time. Modifications or changes will take effect when posted to this site. In the event of material change, as determined by CanLII in its sole discretion, reasonable notice of any such change will be provided to registered users to the emails associated with user accounts and you agree that CanLII may contact you at this account for that purpose. CanLII is not responsible where such emails are not received or read. You may delete your account and, with the exception of comments made on commentary submitted by other members, you may delete your contributions at any time. Your continued use of the site constitutes your acceptance of the present terms and any modifications or changes thereto.User and publisher accounts
Participation as a member in CanLII Connects is enabled through registration of a personal account and the disclosure to CanLII of, among other things, an email address and a password for your User Account. Except where authorized by CanLII, members must only create, use, and access the site through one account, and members may not access the site using multiple accounts.
CanLII, in its sole discretion will determine whether or not an account will be granted or maintained.
Establishing an account requires disclosure of sufficient information to confirm your identity and to discern your capacity to analyze and comment on the law. You represent that all information provided by you is accurate, current and complete and you agree that you will maintain and update your information to keep it accurate, current and complete. You acknowledge that if any information provided by you is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, CanLII may terminate your use of the site.Code of Conduct for members
As members register under their real names, we trust that they value their personal and professional reputations and will conduct themselves in protection of those interests. Nonetheless, CanLII Connects offers the following guidelines to promote positive interaction and a welcoming environment for all.In registering for and using this site, you acknowledge and agree to carry out your participation in accordance with the following guidelines:
- You will not access or attempt to access any other user's account, or misrepresent or attempt to misrepresent your identity while using the site.
- You will not use the site for unlawful purposes or to promote or incite unlawful activities by others.
- You will not use the site for organized partisan political activities.
- You will not defame, harass or threaten other site users.
- You will respect the intellectual property rights of other site users.
- You will not use the site to disclose confidential information.
- You will not post material that contains obscene language or images, or that is otherwise inappropriate for a legal information website, as determined by CanLII at its entire discretion.
- You will not engage in excessive presentation of commercial messages and you will not directly engage in commercial solicitation.
- You will not post material that interferes with the normal operation of the site.
Warranties of Contributors
As a Contributor, you represent and warrant that you possess all necessary rights to publish and provide CanLII a license (as described below) to your contributed content, and that to the best of your knowledge, your contributed content does not contain any libelous material and does not violate the rights of any person or persons and does not infringe any existing copyright.
As a Contributor, you agree and understand that if a third party claims copyright infringement of any kind in respect of your contributed content, that you alone shall bear, at your own costs and expense, the responsibility to resolve the copyright dispute and CanLII shall have no obligation to participate in the dispute whatsoever.
As a Contributor, you hereby grant to CanLII a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, revocable license to publish (including the right to reproduce, communicate, distribute, edit, modify, display, make available and otherwise use) your contributions on the CanLII Connects website and make the same freely available to CanLII Connects visitors.
As a Contributor, you hereby authorize CanLII to publicly disclose the fact and nature of your participation on this site and to use for that limited purpose your logos, trademark and other similar identifying emblem or symbol in the context of such disclosure, including for marketing purposes.
CanLII hereby agrees and covenants that it will not interfere, modify, change, and/or edit the content of the any contribution except to the extent required by law, technical implementation and integration with the CanLII Connects website look and feel.This license authorizes but does not oblige CanLII to publish and use any or all of contributions made to the website and CanLII reserves the right to remove any content from this site in its discretion.